Having the following items ready and easily located for your sitter greatly helps to properly care for your pet:
- Foot and treats
- Clean food and water bowls
- Leashes, harnesses, or halters
- Kitty litter and scoop
- Bedding (for cage/pen cleaning)
- Paper Towels
- Supplies for plant care (if you have plants that need care)
- Emergency phone numbers
Also, make sure that you arrange for the following:
- clean out the fridge of spoilable food if you will be away for more than a couple days
- arrange for driveways & walks to be shoveled during winter months
- if possible, arrange for a neighbor to have a backup key in case of severe weather that may prevent the sitter from visiting
- notify neighbors that there will be a pet sitter visiting your home.
Create a checklist, and go over it to make sure everything is set before you leave. It is a good idea to go over the list with your sitter, too. A little pre-planning helps everyone involved.